Skip to main content

My First True Hunting Expereince

I had been hunting with my husband numerous times, but I’d always been as a spectator, not a participator. This year I wanted to learn how to shoot a gun. My husband encouraged me to go to a Hunter Safety course and get my hunting license. I completed the course on 8-9-08.

This past Saturday, November 1, HG took me out squirrel hunting. We’d gone a previous weekend, but I never used my gun as we didn’t really see any squirrels. This Saturday there were less leaves and more squirrels. With the first squirrel we saw I was so nervous I was shaking. I could spot the squirrel on the tree, but I couldn’t see it through the scope. In fact, every time I looked through the scope it was black, and I couldn’t see anything. I couldn’t find the squirrel. The squirrel started to move and I told HG to go ahead and take it.

Defeated and deflated was how I felt. Maybe this isn’t for me? Maybe I wasted my time taking the class and I’m just not cut out for this? We continued walking through the woods and before I knew it, there was another squirrel. HG once again spotted it first. It took me awhile to see it. Here we go again. I look through the scope – nothing. I can’t find it. HG patiently told me to look through the scope and follow it up the tree. I have it, but I can feel myself shaking. HG asked me if I had it in the scope. “Yeah, I think I do” was the timid response I gave him. “Take the shot he said.”

I was shaking so hard I couldn’t keep the 22-Rifle still, but I took a deep breath and pulled the trigger. I saw the squirrel jump but he moved on me. HG said I hit him, but I wasn’t for sure. The squirrel had just moved farther up the tree. I took aim again and shot again. This time I knew I had him as he let out the most horrible ‘squeal’ one could imagine. The awful sound felt like it went on and on. I looked at HG and said please make it stop. Finally the squirrel fell to the ground. At first I wasn’t sure if I was happy because I got him or just happy he stopped squealing. Upon closer inspection we were able to see why he was possibly squealing so. I got him in the ‘rear’. Yes, I was aiming for the head, but give a girl a break. I just shot my first squirrel.

The second squirrel was a runner. HG once again spotted it first and he told me where it was in the tree. I took a shot. I missed. In fact, I missed several times. He kept running up the limb and I kept shooting. Finally he too fell to the ground. He didn’t squeal like the first one, but he too had been shot in the ‘rear’. I supposed maybe that initiated his running?

The third squirrel, well this one was all mine. Shorty indicated he had another squirrel in a tree. We looked and looked and couldn’t find it. Finally, there in the Y of the tree, I saw it. I told HG I saw it and he said go for it. I took one shot and it fell. I was proud of myself for getting this one all one my own. Finally I saw one on my own and it only took one shot. Did I get it in the head? Um, no.. not exactly. But, I didn’t get it in the ‘rear’. It was more of a body shot.

The fourth and last squirrel of the day for me was also one that I spotted in the tree and took with one shot on my own.

HG got three of his own. He of course would have had more, but he shared with me and allowed me to hunt.

We got a total of seven for the day. Leaving the woods at sunset, we started the drive back home to clean the squirrels. HG did the cleaning. I observed and helped out by holding the trash bag. I’m sure in the future I’ll be cleaning my own. But at this point, I’m content just to observe.

So there you have it… my first hunting experience… and I feel there will be many more to follow.


Popular posts from this blog

Adfilic Bluetooth Stereo Portable Wireless Speaker Review and Giveaway

I love music and streaming music through various apps on my iPhone. But with the case that I have on my phone, it sort of blocks the speakers a little. I can hear, but it can be a little muffled. So when I heard about the  Adfilic Bluetooth Stereo Portable Wireless Speaker  I jumped at the chance to try it. I was a little nervous since there really wasn't a lot of instructions on setup. I mean it had the usual pictures of this button does this etc, but there really wasn't a lot of documentation with it. So I was a little apprehensive at first.  But it didn't take me too long to realize that I didn't need a lot of instruction. It was pretty much straight forward. Charge it. After it was charged, turn it on. I went into my connections on my iPhone. It immediately found it, paired, and I was good to go.  I did get a little confused on which button was volume up (and down). But after a little trial and error with that, I've had absolutely zero iss

Little Buffalo State Park

I don't know about where you live, but where we live we are within driving distance to several State Parks. And because the weather has been so cool this Summer, and although it's August, last week was the first time we'd been to the pool. Lil Man had a blast. We had hoped some friends could join us today, but no one was available. But we ventured out, just the two of us, and we had a blast. The water was still pretty cold. In fact, we would get in - play for awhile - then get out and sit on a beach towel in the sun to warm up. This seemed to work well. We splurged and Lil Man enjoyed his first chocolate chipwich. He exclaimed "It's a cookie AND ice cream!" I do believe he thought it was a genius idea. Although it can be exhausting as my Lil Man is one that wants me to definitely join in with him with the sprinklers etc, it was pure joy to watch him enjoy himself. I think this picture speaks for itself. I hope you are enjoying your last few days

Ecosak Nylon Nut Bag Review

I have been compensated in the form of a gift card/money/coupon and/or received the product/service at a reduced price or for free. All opinions expressed are mine and honest in nature. Well, can you believe that I am trying out a nut bag to make my own almond milk? (I'll pause a moment so that you can let the shock wear off!) I can honestly say that never in my life did I intend on making my own almond milk. But as you know, we are making some changes to our diet. So I decided I would give it a try.  And with the Ecosak I also received some recipes which really helped since I wasn't really sure what I was supposed to do. I asked Lil Man if he wanted to help me, and he was more than thrilled. Apparently making almond milk was an exciting and fun thing for him. First things first was to wash the Ecosak (easy to do) and soak the nuts. Yep, I put some raw almonds in a bowl, covered them with water and let them soak 6-8 hours or so. After they had been soaked, I