Have you finished (or at least started) your holiday decorating? I had a blast this year decorating with Lil Man. Everything was 'wow' and 'neat'. He loved putting up the tree and the ornaments. However, keeping the ornaments on the tree has been a challenge.
"Follow these basic safety guidelines to help prevent serious electrical and fire hazards as you decorate your home and yard this season:
• When purchasing a live tree, check for freshness. A fresh tree will stay green longer and be less of a fire hazard than a dry tree.
• Cut 1-2 inches from the base of the trunk immediately before placing the tree in the stand and filling with water to ensure water absorption.
• Because heated rooms dry out live trees rapidly, be sure to keep the stand filled with water by refilling daily.
• When purchasing an artificial tree, look for the label “Fire Resistant.” This label indicates that the tree is more resistant to burning.
• Don’t use electrical ornaments or light strings on artificial trees with metallic leaves or branch coverings.
• Place your tree at least 3 feet away from all heat sources, including fireplaces, radiators, and space heaters.
• When trimming a tree, only use non-combustible or flame-resistant materials.
• Avoid using candles when possible. Consider using battery-operated candles in place of traditional candles.
• Never leave an open flame unattended. Keep burning candles within sight.
• Place lighted candles away from combustible material such as other decorations and wrapping paper.
• Take care to place candle displays in locations where they cannot be knocked over.
• Never use lighted candles on a tree or near other greenery.
• Extinguish all candles before you go to sleep, leave the room, or leave the house.
Did You Know?
160 home fires per year begin with holiday lights and other decorative lighting, causing an average of 8 deaths, 14 injuries, and $8.5 million in property damage (NFPA)." (above info from ESFI)
I've never used battery-operated candles, but this year I gave them a try. And I have to say that Lil Man loved them and so did I. I of course wouldn't have an open flame where he could burn himself or knock it over. But with these battery-operated candles, I didn't have to worry about that. I also tried out some battery-operated lights. Those were also a big hit. Now, I don't leave them on constantly. So I'm not sure about battery life. But so far the batteries are holding up to how we are currently using them.
All lights are battery-operated
In addition to battery-operated candles, we also utilized a surge protector, and LED lights. LED lights last longer than traditional incandescent lights, and they generate less heat.
This holiday season we enjoying decorating while trying to be aware of safety. How are you staying safe during the holidays?
Full Disclosure: ESFI provided me with a decorating safety kit free of charge for the purpose of providing a review. My opinions are
completely my own based on my experience.
I love music and streaming music through various apps on my iPhone. But with the case that I have on my phone, it sort of blocks the speakers a little. I can hear, but it can be a little muffled. So when I heard about the Adfilic Bluetooth Stereo Portable Wireless Speaker I jumped at the chance to try it. I was a little nervous since there really wasn't a lot of instructions on setup. I mean it had the usual pictures of this button does this etc, but there really wasn't a lot of documentation with it. So I was a little apprehensive at first. But it didn't take me too long to realize that I didn't need a lot of instruction. It was pretty much straight forward. Charge it. After it was charged, turn it on. I went into my connections on my iPhone. It immediately found it, paired, and I was good to go. I did get a little confused on which button was volume up (and down). But after a little trial and error with that, I've had absolutely zero iss
I don't know about where you live, but where we live we are within driving distance to several State Parks. And because the weather has been so cool this Summer, and although it's August, last week was the first time we'd been to the pool. Lil Man had a blast. We had hoped some friends could join us today, but no one was available. But we ventured out, just the two of us, and we had a blast. The water was still pretty cold. In fact, we would get in - play for awhile - then get out and sit on a beach towel in the sun to warm up. This seemed to work well. We splurged and Lil Man enjoyed his first chocolate chipwich. He exclaimed "It's a cookie AND ice cream!" I do believe he thought it was a genius idea. Although it can be exhausting as my Lil Man is one that wants me to definitely join in with him with the sprinklers etc, it was pure joy to watch him enjoy himself. I think this picture speaks for itself. I hope you are enjoying your last few days
I have been compensated in the form of a gift card/money/coupon and/or received the product/service at a reduced price or for free. All opinions expressed are mine and honest in nature. Well, can you believe that I am trying out a nut bag to make my own almond milk? (I'll pause a moment so that you can let the shock wear off!) I can honestly say that never in my life did I intend on making my own almond milk. But as you know, we are making some changes to our diet. So I decided I would give it a try. And with the Ecosak I also received some recipes which really helped since I wasn't really sure what I was supposed to do. I asked Lil Man if he wanted to help me, and he was more than thrilled. Apparently making almond milk was an exciting and fun thing for him. First things first was to wash the Ecosak (easy to do) and soak the nuts. Yep, I put some raw almonds in a bowl, covered them with water and let them soak 6-8 hours or so. After they had been soaked, I